Why Lithium-ion Battery Technology is Leading the Way for UPS Batteries
There are many reasons why Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are set to become the preferred choice by businesses investing in a UPS solution. The advanced technology allows the battery to perform at double the normal battery life, with reduced maintenance costs and quicker installation time. The smart UPS solution decreases TCO by up to 53% over 10 years, making it a sensible choice for many businesses looking to update their UPS system.
- Increased battery life – Li-ion batteries are proven to offer double the effective lifecycle of lead-acid (VRLA) batteries, taking the life of a battery to 10 years, compared to 3-6 years.
- Quicker installation – Li-ion UPS batteries by APC have been designed to be 30% lighter than traditional lead-acid batteries, making them safer and faster to transport and install.
- Remote monitoring – APC Smart-UPS On-line Li-ion batteries work seamlessly with a Network Management Card, APC Smart Connect or Ecostruxure IT to help businesses run smoothly around the clock and alert users to potential issues, before they become a major problem.
Li-ion batteries have often been the second choice in the past because of concerns regarding their safety. However, APC Li-ion batteries use Tier 1 li-ion cell manufacturers and are certified to the new UL Safety Requirements (UL 1973), they have dedicated BMS monitors and controls energy flow in the battery pack. Their Li-ion batteries also feature cell level protection from overvoltage and overheating, overload, short circuit protection and thermal runaway and a dedicated fuse inside the battery pack. They’ve been used for over 20 years in various applications; however they weren’t able to offer the right balance of price, energy density, power, safety and reliability for single phase UPS systems. Advancements over the past 10 years have meant that Li-ion UPS batteries are now an impressively viable option.
- Li-ion batteries have an improved life expectancy of 5,000 cycles versus 500 for lead-acid batteries and improved resistance to discharge.
- Operating at nearly 100% efficiency in both charge and discharge.
- Cleaner technology means that Li-ion batteries are safer for the environment.
Are you looking for a greener and more efficient alternative to lead-acid batteries for your UPS? Get in touch with the team at Adept Power Solutions to discuss how Lithium-ion battery UPS applications could help protect your business from power failure. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01264 351415.